Friday, May 7, 2010

Our Swedish experiment has begun!

My wife AS and I have been talking about moving to Sweden for a while. She was born here (in Sweden), and I've been here to visit 8 or 9 times over the past dozen years since we started dating. Moving to Sweden always seemed like something nice that we might do in the future; I would learn the Swedish language and culture first hand, and she would get to experience living in her homeland as an adult. We would say, "Maybe in a couple years we'll move to Sweden. Wouldn't that be exciting?" But we had school, and new jobs, so it could wait until later.


View from the deck of "the summer house" in Dalarna,with the barn, root cellar, a shed, and the lake in the background (obscured by fog).

Then we realized that those "couple years" had already gone by. AS had finished her masters degree, I had already been at my job for 3 years, and the clock was still ticking. We were getting more and more settled into life in the Washington, DC area and it wouldn't get any easier to leave. Besides, someday we're hoping to have little Swedelings running around the house, and it wouldn't get any easier to move after that. (And besides, wouldn't it be nice for those hypothetical little Swedelings to also have their choice of countries to live in someday?)

The kicker was when we visited SwedeLife and family. They had followed their instincts and moved to Sweden about a year prior. Her husband (my brother-in-law) was originally from Sweden, but she was a home-grown American like myself. We had such a good time visiting them (and my sister-in-law's family down the street!), and we could see how well they had settled in life in Sweden. There was just no question that they had made the right move.

As AS and I were getting ready to head back to the States after that trip, we said to each other, "Do we have to go home?" The answer, of course, was yes, but that was the turning point we started planning to actually make the move ourselves.

Here we are a few months later! I'm at "the summer house" in Dalarna, and AS arrives in a few days. It feels good to be here; the air is fresh, the lake is beautiful, and spring is just starting to arrive. Our Swedish Experiment has begun!



PS: I had to come up with some kind of pun or joke for the name of the blog. It's not as good as the "Swede Life" (and a lot nerdier) but its kind of funny to me.

PPS: I'll pretty up the site and put up photos and stuff later.

11 comments:

  1. Great to have you guys here! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!!
    Welcome to Sweden and Bloggie Land!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valkommen til Sverige
    Welcome to Sweden

    We moved from London to the middle of nowhere...with TEENGAGE BOYS!!!
    1 year later we are still here and LOVING it!
    We have LOVE, PEACE & JOY!
    May you find everything your searching for and more here in Sweden
    God Bless
    Julie & CO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you guys made it there safe! Look forward to reading about your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi guys,

    My wife Melissa and I are friends with Laura and Bob and they pointed us to your blog. My wife and I are also hoping to move to Sweden someday soon--she is a Swedish citizen, but has grown up in America. I hope you keep this blog updated frequently so we can follow along and help motivate us through the moving process! :)

    By the way, in case you aren't familiar with it, there is a great forum for American expats in Sweden, Amerikanska: http://www.amerikanska.com/modules.php?name=Forums

    --Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everybody!

    Swedishhouse -- great to hear it! I'm definitely enjoying the peacefulness of living out here for a while.

    Kevin -- it sounds like you guys are in a very similar situation. I'm kind of figuring things out as I go, but let me know if you've got any questions about something we've already been through. Amerikanska.com is great; they have some really detailed posts that helped a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to Sweden and the many blogs around about Sweden.

    Will you be staying in Dalarna during the winter as well, or coming down to some of the cities.

    Look forward to seeing your thoughts about life in northern Sweden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi!
    Congratulations on starting your "Swedish Experiment!" I was so excited to hear from Matt that you guys had moved. I too am experimenting with expat life in the Netherlands so I'm really enthusiastic to read about your experiences living abroad. Love the posts so far-- and you've inspired some stricter Dutch language hours around our house as well ("Nederlands van ontbijt tot avondeten!").

    Hope all is well with you! And maybe on my next trip up to Sweden we can have a fika or something!

    Cheers, Jenn Holland

    ps-- I too am blogging :) http://dutchgoesdutch.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess you been here for a while now, but welcome to Sweden!

    It's nice to find another foreigner in Sweden. It’s so interesting to read about how other people perceive Sweden. I’m Swedish myself and live in Sweden with my Aussie boyfriend. We collect links in our blog to other blogging expats and I’ve added your blog to the list, hope that’s ok.

    http://swaussie.blogg.se/2011/march/expats-in-sweden.html

    I’ll be sure to check back for more blog updates.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete